Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Face feels warm, no fever but very high BP. Can I get back to work?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 192 Questions
my blood pressure is 177/72 and I am 77 years old. It is making me nervous as I go back to work tomorrow teaching in college. My face feels warm but I have no fever.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I understand that you have hypertension and your blood pressure (BP) is 177/72 mmHg.

This type of Hypertension is known as Isolated Systolic Hypertension (ISH). Only the systolic BP (177) is elevated while the diastolic BP (72) is normal.

This is commonly seen in the elderly. It has been estimated that over 90% of people over the age of 50 years will develop this type of high BP.

It is also necessary to rule out pseudo-hypertension due to thickening of the walls of the arteries. This can be done by your treating physician.

The treatment of choice is either a calcium channel blocker like Amlodipine or a low dose thiazide diuretic.

It has been shown that treatment and control of ISH will lead to significant reduction in strokes and heart attacks.

You also need to do some investigations like ECG (Electrocardiogram), echocardiography, blood tests for sugar, cholesterol and kidney function, urine for protein, and fundus examination of the eye.

There is no need to be anxious since this can be easily controlled with a salt restricted diet, a good exercise regimen and drugs. Anxiety will only further increase the systolic BP.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me for any further clarifications that you may require.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor