FNAC test showed fragments of adipose tissue and clusters of ductal epithelial cells. Cancer?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Breast Cancer
Question: FNAC report of one breast tumore says that XXXXXXX Microscopically: Smears shows fragments od adeipose tissue and a solitary cluster of benign ductal equithelical cells". What does it mean , I mean to is there any posibility of cancer from from this report? Pl advise
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thanks for posting query. I have gone through medical & surgical history in details.

FNAC report of breast tumor suggests that it is one type of benign lesion, possibility of Duct Papilllomas. These are true polyps of epithelium-lined breast ducts and often presents in cluster. They are not precancerous lesion. Mostly they are solitary and located under areola. In general, these lesions are less than 1 cm but may grow large up to 4-5 cm. Most common presentation is bloody discharge from nipple but it varies women to women. CA 125 report is also normal and possibility of malignancy/cancer is ruled out somehow at present.

Several risk factors is needed to be ruled out earliest to assess breast cancer in future like family history of breast cancer among first degree relatives, Genetic factor, previous history of endometrial/ovarian ca, Long term Hormone Replacement Therapy following Hysterectomy (removal of uterus), Obesity, High calorie diet etc.

TRIPLE ASSESSMENT like Clinical assessment, Radiological imaging (Ultrasound and mammography) and Tissue sampling for histological confirmation (FNAC/ Corecut), is very much needed in combination to reach in confident diagnosis in 99.9% cases.

So please consult with your doctor/surgeon for complete assessment and follow up of the present condition. Surgery may be needed in form of microdochectomy (complete excision of the involved duct & tumor).

Do some basic things for life style modification:
-Avoid mental stress/anxiety/emotional upset
-Take healthy diet with vegetables & drink lots of water.
-Self breast examination and palpation of axillary lymph node.
-Control body weight by doing regular exercise
-Maintain personal hygiene properly & take adequate rest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan