Owl Image

FNAC test showed colloid goiter. Looking for advice

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2012
Aug 2012

Diabetologist
Question
i am 40 yr.old female. i have nodule on my left lobe.i have done my fnac and report is colloid goiter. my thyroid functions are normal since 5 years. do have to do something. Dr. did not give any medication. Last 3 years back i have done sonograpy and size was almost same as before 3.5 after that i did not do anything. do i need any followup. every 6 months i am doing my thyroid hormones and results are normal. I am working in lab. please advice me bec. i am worried.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Hello, Dear.

Thank you for the query. You really do not need to worry for the STN- Solitary thyroid nodule one because it is not growing in the size and two because it is established to be colloid in nature.
What follow up you need to do every ONE YEAR is- TSH, FT4 levels, USG neck to keep watch on the 1. size, 2. margins, 3. extra nodularity, 4. presence of lymph nodes and morphology of lymphnodes, 5. Type and any changes in echogenicity, 6. development of any calcification and if at all calcification develops then type of calcification, 7. presence and type of vascularity.
Depending on new changes FNAC to be repeated then. Keep watch on any changes in voice quality for longer time.
You do not otherwise need a follow up, and that too evey 6 months blood test is not at all warranted.
But let me also make it clear, once the nodule size is more than 4 cm, there are recommendations that irrespective of its nature it should be surgically excised. Hence keep doing USG to check on the above mentioned 7 points and make sure the sonologist gives clearcut opinions on those points in the report so that your Endocrinologist or Surgeon take appropriate decision then.
I hope this clarifies you that you need not be worried at all. Get back for any related query. Good luck.