Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

FNAC test showed colloid goiter. Looking for advice

Aug 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 362 Questions
i am 40 yr.old female. i have nodule on my left lobe.i have done my fnac and report is colloid goiter. my thyroid functions are normal since 5 years. do have to do something. Dr. did not give any medication. Last 3 years back i have done sonograpy and size was almost same as before 3.5 after that i did not do anything. do i need any followup. every 6 months i am doing my thyroid hormones and results are normal. I am working in lab. please advice me bec. i am worried.
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Hello, Dear.

Thank you for the query. You really do not need to worry for the STN- Solitary thyroid nodule one because it is not growing in the size and two because it is established to be colloid in nature.
What follow up you need to do every ONE YEAR is- TSH, FT4 levels, USG neck to keep watch on the 1. size, 2. margins, 3. extra nodularity, 4. presence of lymph nodes and morphology of lymphnodes, 5. Type and any changes in echogenicity, 6. development of any calcification and if at all calcification develops then type of calcification, 7. presence and type of vascularity.
Depending on new changes FNAC to be repeated then. Keep watch on any changes in voice quality for longer time.
You do not otherwise need a follow up, and that too evey 6 months blood test is not at all warranted.
But let me also make it clear, once the nodule size is more than 4 cm, there are recommendations that irrespective of its nature it should be surgically excised. Hence keep doing USG to check on the above mentioned 7 points and make sure the sonologist gives clearcut opinions on those points in the report so that your Endocrinologist or Surgeon take appropriate decision then.
I hope this clarifies you that you need not be worried at all. Get back for any related query. Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor