• question-icon

FNAC report showed few follicular cells, few macrophages along with little colloid. What does these means?

Posted on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: FNAC report reveals few follicular cells..left thyroid 2cm ..few macrophages along with little colloid...bethadas system used for FNAC..

Male patient 39 years old...thyroid scan revelas mass of 2 cm and advise for FNAC..
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Thyroid nodules are fairly common, the key to evaluation is to determine which are cancerous and need further treatment.

Fine needlee aspiration is uded to differentiate benign versus malignant problems with thyroid nodules.

The bethesdas system is one of the systems used to classify the results.
There are five categories in that system.They are:(1) unsatisfactory specimen- recommend ultrasound guided FNA
(2) benign result(no cancer)- recommend observation
(3)atypical (not usual) or follicular lesion of uncertain significane- recommend FNA repeated
(4) follicular cancer or suspicion of follicular cancer- recommend removal of the lobe of the thyroid involved
(5)suspicious for malignancy (different types of malignancy such as papillary,medullary,metastatic)- recommend near total removal of thyroid or removal of lobe
(6)definate malignancy- recommend near total thyroidectomy(removal of thyroid)

Even though the above report states that the bethesda system used, it does not state which category your result falls into.
Some labs , if there is alot of macrophages (predominantly macrophages) in the sample would classify it as unsatisfactory and ask for a repeat because it may indicate that the sample did not include enough of the other tissue.Your sample said only a few macrophages seen so it is unlikely to be a problem.
In benign sample results the following is usually seen- varying amount of colloid and benign follicular cells.
In those samples classified as follicular cancer of suspicious for a follicular cancer, it is usually reported that there are alot of cells and little colloid.

The above report does not state that they noted any obvious signs of cancer and this should be reassuring, however, again, they did not state the exact category your result fell into which would be helpful in determining your risk for future problems.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James