Eyes roll back, jerking the body, arms moving back and forth rapidly, headaches, drowsy after this. Is it seizure ?

Posted on Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: My girlfriend has been having what looks like seizures. Her eyes will roll back and she will throw her head back, her body will jerk and her arms and hands will move back and forth rapidly. She says she remembers the seizure. She will have a really bad headache after and she will have a fever. She is also very drowsy after it happens.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 56 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the description of the events it looks to me like she is suffering from seizures. During the seizures depending on the area of the brain involved consciousness can be impaired or normal. If normal can remember most of the events occurring at the time of seizures. Post seizure state also called as post-ictal period, symptoms like headache, vomiting, drowsiness and rarely fever can be seen.

So I personally request you to see a Neurologist as early as possible for detailed evaluation and initiation of medicines to control seizures. She may have to undergo investigations like blood tests, CT/MRI of the brain and EEG to know the cause and type of seizure.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist
Dr. Shiva Kumar R

Neurologist