Eye test showed little cupping. Can I have glaucoma problem? Suggestion

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I went to my eye doctor to have a check up, so my reading sight is a little bit bad. He put on reading glasses only, but because my mom got glaucoma when she was old, he checked the eye pressure, that was 17 and told me that there was a little cupping, not to much. He said to be checked every year and not to worry, maybe I develope glaucoma or not, but not I´m worried if I should get a second opinion. He said the cupping wasn´t significant, just little discolored, but I have also heard that sometimes the disc is bigger in some people. I´m really scared
He also said that the cupping is a little bigger than the average, but everybody is different.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for sending your query to us.
All of your parameters are within normal limits.Your vision ,Eye pressure and apparentlydiscisalsowithinnormal limits.
In normal population the incidence of glaucoma is about 4%and in glaucoma relatives it is about24%,
You can have yearly follow up to catch the problem in a early stage.
If you are as worried as you sound and not fully satisfied then you can have a field examination ,which for glaucoma suspects,as e call patients like you becomes the final test and good tool to follow up.
any further query ,please do get in touch with me .