question-icon

Exposed to black mold. Bloody noses and swollen gums

default
Posted on Mon, 28 Oct 2013
Question: my kids have been exposed to black mold. 18 months and 4 years old. bloody noses swollen gums. anything we can do for them
doctor
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Antiallergic, anti fungal and local cleansing .

Detailed Answer:
Hi,

Welcome to the XXXXXXX

Molds are fungus, cause allergies, molds eat and digest the thing in which they grow, Not all black mold are toxic, Mycotoxins produced from toxic mold are the real problem,

Your Peadiatrician by simple physical examination may diagnose the mold and treat it effectively.
He will also perform investigation like Skin test, Blood tests to detect antibodies, thus he will finalize the diagnosis.

Anti allergic medicines like cetrizine along with decongestant like dimenhydramine will reduce the allergic symptoms,

Nasal spray like (fluticasone, budisonide,or mometasone nasal spray)are also help ful in reducing the symptoms.

Nasal cleaning by saline drops or by soda bi carbonate.

Antifungal oral medicine like fluconazole are help ful in killing the fungus.

Local application of antifungal drugs like clotimazole. miconazole are quite effective in reducing the fungus.
If the molds have spread to the lungs then should be treated with systemic antifungal drugs which should be done under syrict supervision of the peadiatrician.
Hope the query is answered.
Please feel free for further clarification.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 1194 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Exposed to black mold. Bloody noses and swollen gums

Brief Answer:
Antiallergic, anti fungal and local cleansing .

Detailed Answer:
Hi,

Welcome to the XXXXXXX

Molds are fungus, cause allergies, molds eat and digest the thing in which they grow, Not all black mold are toxic, Mycotoxins produced from toxic mold are the real problem,

Your Peadiatrician by simple physical examination may diagnose the mold and treat it effectively.
He will also perform investigation like Skin test, Blood tests to detect antibodies, thus he will finalize the diagnosis.

Anti allergic medicines like cetrizine along with decongestant like dimenhydramine will reduce the allergic symptoms,

Nasal spray like (fluticasone, budisonide,or mometasone nasal spray)are also help ful in reducing the symptoms.

Nasal cleaning by saline drops or by soda bi carbonate.

Antifungal oral medicine like fluconazole are help ful in killing the fungus.

Local application of antifungal drugs like clotimazole. miconazole are quite effective in reducing the fungus.
If the molds have spread to the lungs then should be treated with systemic antifungal drugs which should be done under syrict supervision of the peadiatrician.
Hope the query is answered.
Please feel free for further clarification.
Thanks