Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Experiencing vaginal pain during intercourse. Suggest a vaginal numbing ointment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 266 Questions
Hi. I am a married woman. Got married recently but still unable to have proper intercourse with my husband due to vaginal pain on attempting intercourse. We tried lubricants. But no go. I wanted to know if I can use a numbing ointment to deal with pain and fear of first time intercourse. If yes, can you suggest a vaginal numbing ointment available in India? I stay in Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

This is common problem and nothing to be worried off. Most of the females do experience it for the first time whenever they have it.

As you have already tried lubricants and are keen on using numbing gel, you can go for it without any doubt.
Commonly used one is Xylocaine jelly 2% to be applied liberally on your private parts as well as the husbands half an hour before the act. Little burning sensation would be there initially but will go away in a few seconds. Gradually once you are used to, stop using it.

Other measures that I suggest are - be stress free and don't be anxious about what is going to happen, every thing would be fine, try it for one week if not effective then i would advice you to XXXXXXX your gynaecologist once and get a check up done.
But i don't think that would be necessary, every thing would be fine, try out with this.
All the best, Take care.

Dr. Rishma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor