Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Experiencing thick light vaginal discharge. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
I'm having some thick light XXXXXXX discharge funny to say but it's the consistency of a light XXXXXXX clay facial mask? Thank so much.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 24 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

If you could be so kind as to mention the following:
-Your age
-Your sex
-Where exactly you are experiencing this discharge from
-Any other symptoms along with the discharge (eg. itching, unpleasant odor of the discharge, burning sensation from site of discharge, etc.)
-Also if this discharge is from your genitalia, are you sexually active and when was your last sexual contact?
-When you first noticed this discharge

Please bare with me, as this information will greatly help me in helping you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing thick light vaginal discharge. Underlying cause? 10 minutes later
I'm 37 the discharge is coming from my vagina itching no burning I have had sexual contact and am married I'm concerned since I just have one partner also theirs a slight odor
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Hello once again.

Thank you for that information. This will greatly assist me in helping you.

The possible causes for thick light/lime XXXXXXX discharge from the vagina in order of their possibility (taking into consideration your details) are the following:
-Bacterial vaginosis (can be treated with a course of antibiotic therapy lasting 7-10 days)
-Yeast infection (treated with a course of anti-fungal medication)
-Chlamydia (treated with a course of antibiotic therapy)
-Gonorrhea (treated with antibiotics, either a single dose or a longer course)
-Lichen sclerosus (treated with steroids and clobetasol propionate)

Do not worry, as all these conditions can be easily treated within a duration of 7-28 days. I request you to please consult a doctor (gynecologist) for an evaluation, diagnosis and treatment accordingly.

Also, in the meantime, please consult your husband and ask if he is experiencing any symptoms, as all the above mentioned infections can cause symptoms in both partners. Also, please avoid sexual contact with your husband till you are completely treated. Do not worry, these infections are common and if appropriately treated and supervised, never recur.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor