Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Experiencing swelling and bruise on foot. Feeling discomfort. Cause?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My mother is experiencing bruising on top of foot at the third fourth and fifth toe, along with swelling and bruising directly underneath on the bottom of her foot. Not a lot of pain just some mild discomfort. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.

To allow me to help you in better way, Let me know the following:-

If there is any history of any twisting injury to toes or being hitten by something over foot?
Is this bruise develop spontaneously or after any injury to her foot?
Is there any history of medication or allergy to any drug or food?

Awating for your reply.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing swelling and bruise on foot. Feeling discomfort. Cause? 6 minutes later
She has struggled with food sensitivities and follows a vegan and gluten free diet. She can't remember if there was an injury however her grandson who weighs about 65 lbs did step on her foot a few days ago.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Brusing and swelling over her foot could be due to fracture.
If she is able to bear the weight on her limb without much pain then a bone injury is unlikely. She need to continue with rest and ice . Most of the times it is a soft tissue injury but it takes 7-10 days for the pain to subside.
If the pain getting worse , she need an xray to rule out any bony injury . Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor