Experiencing stress. Prescribed with Amitriptyline and alprazolam. Suggest

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, My Mother is 50 years old and she get alot stress when she go in somewhere like wedding party or anywhere that many people are in there and what should she do in such situations ?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need dose increment of Amitriptyline. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 50 year old female • Currently on Amitriptyline (25 mg) and alprazolam (0.5) in night • Complaints of: Anxiety in social situations Your mother is having anxiety in social situations which happen in social anxiety disorder. There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like alprazolam) are used for short term and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors)/Tricyclic anti-depressants (TCA like Amitriptyline) are used. SSRI/TCA takes around 3-6 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect. In your mther case she is taking 25mg amitriptyline only. Effective doses of amitriptyline for social anxiety is 75 to 150 mg. It should be increased gradually to 100mg per day in in 2 divided dosesin 2-3 weeks. Alprazolam should be tapered and stop in 3-4 weeks. But all these drug related changes required in person psychiatrist supervision to monitor effect and side effects of medicines. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 30 minutes later
Thanks for the answer Dr Mittal My Mother also use Floxamine (50 mg), can she use this instead of using Amitriptyline ? Floxamine is not hypnagogic like Amitriptyline.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 17 hours later
Brief Answer: She can use Fluvoxamine. Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. Considering your mother age and side effects profile Fluvoxamine is more suitable. Its effective dose range is 100-200 mg per day. Wish you good health. Regards