Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Experiencing strange feelings in head after quadruple bypass surgery. Any complication?

Answered by
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2003

Answered : 1658 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My brother had a quadruple bypas 12 days ago. He is experiencing strange feelings in his head. He must walk, try to shake it off. He sobs and wails. He seems consumed with fear or something. It lasts a couple of hours then he is ok. He is 65 still works as a church minister and has no history of mental health problems.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 48 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Is he suffering from breathlessness on lying down/ weakness/cough and chest discomfort along with chest pain?
What is his present blood pressure and pulse rate?

Your brother should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist/ treating doctor immediately and should go for thorough check up.
Presence of heart disease, angioplasty (quadruple bypass) with defined symptoms suggest involvement of brain.
There may be possibilities of decreased blood supply of brain due either to left ventricular failure or due to arrhythmias.
There may also be possibilities of thrombus formation in heart and may lead to formation of emboli, may also cause Transient ischemic attacks.

He should also go for 2 D echocardiography and electrocadiography (ECG) to evaluate ejection fraction & rule out any arrhythmias.
He should also go for holter monitoring of heart to see any arrhythmias in 48-72 hours period.
He should take proper nutrition along with care for better recovery.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Transient ischemic attack

doctor1 MD

The question is about my son. 18 yr old athlete. He was lifting weights doing an overhead press. He felt a pop or crack in his neck and some pain. very soon after that he got a Migrane headache. He has got them before when he didn t have good sleep habits. This Migrane seemed stronger than previous ones but he did not throw up. The next day he woke up with a very sore neck and numbness on the left side of his body. The numbness was in the back of his arm and down his leg. We took him to the hospital and he started a bunch of tests. MRI s, Echo, ect. Things they found were. The possibility of two very small dots on the occiptial lobe of the brain which they said could be there and if so could represent a stroke but also could not really be there. They said he has Chiari Type 1 which could be the cause. They don t believe there has been a disection of arteries in the neck according to MRI s. He did not have a PFO. We left the hospital yesterday with a wide range of possibilities from very scary to no big deal. He continues to have numbness in his left arm and leg. Also he hasn t had a stool movement for a couple of days which is atypical. My questions are 1. If its just a pinched nerve then how long would the numbness typically last. 2. from looking at the information on the web is it possible he had a Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraine (SHM) and if so how long does the numbness usually last in those cases. 3. Does the Chiari have an effect on the nervous system after an injury. The web seems contradictory in this area. 4. Can a stroke or mini stroke be associated with a minor neck injury. 5. How do we know if the chiari is affecting his nervous system. My son is a college football player and its a big part of his life. So this has the family very concerned.

doctor1 MD

3 days ago I had heat rise from the neck to the head and numbness on my left side of the face and arm. I went to the hospital and after a few tests, the doctors concluded that I had a TIA. After coming home from the hospital, I'm still getting some numbness and tiggling in my face and arms. Is this normal to happen after a TIA?

doctor1 MD

Numbness, tingling L arm, L lips

doctor1 MD

I'm 70 and in good general health. But yesterday as I was going into the YMCA to work out, I couldn't figure out how to get through the turnstile. For months all I needed to do was scan a barcode on my key chain and I would be allowed in. But I...

doctor1 MD

My wife had a sudden episode of speaking gibberish. It lasted for a few minutes and ended. Our Doctor isn't available until next Tuesday. She took an aspirin . She forgot her blood pressure medicine this morning and has just taken it now. Is there...

doctor1 MD

I have suddenly noticed a taste of blood in my mouth and now am having stabbing pain in the right side of my head/temple area. I m a little worried because once when I was younger I had the same thing and then developed numbness on one side of my body with vision impairment along with not being able to understand the words that people were saying to me. I was told later that I may have had a mini-stroke. I am 40 years old and have been having a lot of stress lately. I don t want to suddenly have a stroke like my great-grandmother.