Experiencing strange feelings in head after quadruple bypass surgery. Any complication?

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My brother had a quadruple bypas 12 days ago. He is experiencing strange feelings in his head. He must walk, try to shake it off. He sobs and wails. He seems consumed with fear or something. It lasts a couple of hours then he is ok. He is 65 still works as a church minister and has no history of mental health problems.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 48 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Is he suffering from breathlessness on lying down/ weakness/cough and chest discomfort along with chest pain?
What is his present blood pressure and pulse rate?

Your brother should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist/ treating doctor immediately and should go for thorough check up.
Presence of heart disease, angioplasty (quadruple bypass) with defined symptoms suggest involvement of brain.
There may be possibilities of decreased blood supply of brain due either to left ventricular failure or due to arrhythmias.
There may also be possibilities of thrombus formation in heart and may lead to formation of emboli, may also cause Transient ischemic attacks.

He should also go for 2 D echocardiography and electrocadiography (ECG) to evaluate ejection fraction & rule out any arrhythmias.
He should also go for holter monitoring of heart to see any arrhythmias in 48-72 hours period.
He should take proper nutrition along with care for better recovery.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Dr. Mayank Bhargava