Owl Image

Experiencing sore throat, sore ears, back pain and leg pain. Given advil. Any suggestion?

Question
My daughter is away at school. She has been experiencing sore throat, sore ears, upper and lower back pain, and now says her legs are achy. She went to a walk in clinic today, they swabbed for strep, but siad it looked like a virus. Gave her Advil cold and sinus to take. She hasn't had a fever with this.
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 2 hours later

It is good that a swab test was done. This is part of the routine management. It had ruled out bacterial infection. Viral infections are self-resolving and require only supportive measures. Advil Cold and Sinus would be sufficient to relieve your daughter’s symptoms. She can take it if she is not allergic to any of its contents. It will help her to reduce the soreness in the throat and body aches.
If there is any increase in the symptoms, or if fever or cough starts, it is better to get reviewed as secondary infection may set in. She need other investigations too like blood counts, urine. Otherwise, she should be fine within 3 - 4 days with proper rest and nutrition.

Follow some home care measures.
-     Drink plenty of water.
-     Avoid drinking cold water or soft drinks.
-     Steam inhalation to relieve from congestion.
-     Adequate rest.

Hope I have been of some help to you. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.