Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Experiencing slight pinches at the top of heart. Have heart burn and coughing up phlegm. What do you suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1649 Questions
Hello, lately, I have been experiences slight pinches at the top of my heart. Sometimes, I nay feel that I have heartburn or something. Also, after meal. I tend to cough up Flem....Can anyone suggest something?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pantoprazole & domperidone,Gargle,Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

1. With your presentation the most probably cause could be acid peptic disease / reflux gastro oesophagitis. The other causes are muscle spam of chest wall or minor lung infection.
Since you sometimes feel like heart burn along with pain, you may be suffering from acid peptic disease.

2. For my patients with the similar complaints I advice proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole 40 mg with domperidone one tablet every evening 30 min before food with plenty of fluids, and life style modifications like having more frequent small quantity food once every 3 hours, 30 min walk before bed. This will help for acid peptic disease and for reflux disease. So I advice the same for you.

For musculoskeletal pain (Pain will be localized and increases on palpation) you can take NSAID like Ibuprofen 400mg with muscle relaxant like tizanidine after consulting your doctor.

3. After having food do plain water gargle and before food do salt water gargle for couple of days to prevent any throat infection and also to reduce flem after food.

4. There are many other causes of chest pain. Broadly speaking the cause may lie in your chest wall, lungs, or in your stomach or esophagus and finally in your heart. So I would suggests you to consult your physician once who will be able to evaluate you for your chest pain. You may need few investigations as a part of evaluation your chest pain.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor