Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Experiencing skipped heart beat. Is it related to premature ventricular contraction?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I have been told by mycardiologist I have pvc they are very bad in the morning also when I climb stairs. The. thing is they come and go I just had a monitor put. O and I'm waiting for results. Do you think these are pvs also I do not get them when I am sitting still only mo int around. I am on toporal this does seem wto help a little
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Firstly you have these skipped heartbeat / an exaggerated heartbeat irregularly, for a variable period of time. It denotes presence of ectopic beats. This may happen due to many cause. Premature ventricular contraction is one of them.
To diagnose this condition as a PVC, first you have to be examined clinically. Then ECG should be done in doctor's chamber followed by a 24 hr holter monitoring. Then an Echo should be done to exclude any other cardiac abnormalities.
Without these reports and a thorough physical examination, it is hard to diagnose. But your symptoms indicates possibility more towards PVC.

You are being treated with a beta blocker group of drug. If it is of no help consult with your cardiologist to change the drugs with calcium channel blocker / antiarrythmic agents.
But the most effective treatment modality is radiofrequency ablation.

Summary : I think the condition you are suffering from is possibly premature ventricular contraction. But wait for the holter report. Consult with your treating doctor for changing the drug.

Hope the information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor