Experiencing severe vulvar problems. Have itchy and red clitoris. Chances of vulvodynia?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: i am a 52 yr old woman who is experiencing severe vulvar problems. Over the past 2 yrs parts of my vulva has turned white in color. The clitoris area is white, slightly raised and red. Everything in that area feels itchy, burns, feels red hot,occasional tears of the skin and is very uncomfortable. I have had tests for lichen sclerosis, herpectic cultures, everything is negative, Using premrin cream but am miserable. I have never had a problem in the area until I started to go through menapause. My concern is everything I read about menopausal vulvadynia there is never a mention of discoloration of the area.

Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Vulvodynia is definite possibility.But if there is leukoplakia,then a biopsy should be done.Vulval dystrophy is seen after menopause.But its important that a biopsy is done to rule out malignancy first.Malignancy is the first disgnosis to ruled out in the age group.There may be hyperplasia of the skin which can lead to malignancy later.

Repeated lichen infections can also cause hyperplasia.In such cases,steroids may be needed.However,i suggest that the biopsy be done first.