Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Experiencing severe sciatic pain in buttock. Had back surgery. Caused by abdominal aortic aneurysm?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
Hi, my husband has been experiencing severe sciatic pain in his right buttock and down his left leg with the pain increasing in severity over the past 3 weeks. He has had previous back surgery in 1996 (discectomy). However he has said that this pain is different to anything he has had previously.
Today whilst he was in the bath I noticed a visible pulse in his abdomen and wondered if there is a possibility that sciatic pain could be caused by an abdominal aortic aneurysm. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
Your husband seems to be having some neurological problem as a cause for his symptoms unless proven otherwise particularly with history of discectomy.
The backache radiating to buttocks and legs along with the numbness indicates a serious local cause affecting the spine.
It can be a sciatica or recurring disc prolapse at different level.
He should get a thorough physical and neurological examination by a neurologist and get investigated to point out the exact diagnosis.
The visible pulse may be a harbinger of aortic aneurysm which can cause local pressure and can cause neurological symptoms like his'.
He would need CT/MRI spine as suggested after the examination and follow the advise accordingly.
Meanwhile he should avoid awkward postures, should use a hard bed for lying down, use local pain killer spray like one containing diclofenac gel.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish your husband a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor