Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Experiencing severe pain in right buttock down to leg. MRI showing degenerative changes in L4-L5. Suggest treatment to relieve pain

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 146 Questions
I am experiencing servere pain in my right buttock and down my right leg. I had an mri. it said

At L4-L5 severe bilateral hypertrophic facet degenerative changes, redundancy of the ligamentum flavum and a degenerative synovial cyst arising from the right facet, measuring 1.0 to 0.4 cm, have caused severe central canal stenosis. there is also a 4mm broad-based disc bulge with an annular ter, which contributes to the central canal stenosis. mild to moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing is seen.
I am seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow. what can I ask him to do to relieve the significant pain I have been in for the past two months. Disabling. email address

Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 13 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Respected sir,
My best wishes for a speedy recovery
I have gone through your medical history & MRI report in detail.
It is treated conservatively in most of the cases, under a neurosurgeon’s guidance
May I suggest you

1 Take analgesic/muscle relaxant combination

2 local analgesic gel application also helps.

3 Take BED REST for about 2 weeks

4. Consult a neurosurgeon for complete neurological examination, as SURGICAL DECOMPRESSION IS needed for few cases who have some neurological deficit.


Deptt. of neurosurgery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor