Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Experiencing severe jaw, facial and head muscle spasm. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10432 Questions
I am suffering from severe jaw and facial and head muscle spasms, I've had this problem for many years, I have been under tremendous stress in the last several years or so, the worst being in the last year. I always seem to notice that my jaw pain is worse when I get stressed. I seem to have a weakness in my jaw and that's where the stress goes. My jaw is in constant spasm and pain and is only getting worse. Help!!
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle spasm. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone. Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome can also be the causative factors.
In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.
In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is normal for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.

This can be relieved by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary. You can get it prescribed from your physician.

It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor