Experiencing severe jaw, facial and head muscle spasm. Underlying cause?
Thanks for posting your query.
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
Hypothyroidism is commonly associated with cold intolerance and muscle spasm. It is diagnosed by a examination (there are certain features that are present when a person with hypothyroidism is examined) and by a blood test to assess the level of the thyroid hormone. Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome can also be the causative factors.
In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.
In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is normal for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.
This can be relieved by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary. You can get it prescribed from your physician.
It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of muscle spasms of the head
- Muscle spasms in jaw muscles
- Severe muscle spasms hypogammaglobulinemia
- Lightheadness and facial muscle spasm
- What causes muscle spasms under rib cage
- Facial muscle spasms symptom
- Experiencing severe jaw facial and head muscle spasm underlying cause
- Jaws wired muscle spasms
- What could be the cause for severe abdominal muscle spasms
- Severe muscle spasms in ribs
- Swollen legs, dark patches. Have stasis dermatitis and OCD. Will I be...
- Difficulty maintaining erection, discomfort in right testicle. Should I...
- Would anesthesia used to make a patient unconscious cause hand tremor?
- Black or brown freckles on penis, flat, no discomfort. Is this normal?
- What could red spots on hairline mean?
- Testicle swollen huge and hurts to touch. Why?
- Sudden awakening from sleep, heart racing, high blood pressure, ringing...
- What kind of cancer is it when colonoscopy shows a malignant mass in...
- Itching vagina, discharge and bleeding during sex. Maybe bacterial...
- Have hypoglycemia. Want to try HCG diet. Is it safe?