Experiencing severe hair loss. Reason?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Question: I am loosing my hair very fastly,butkant able tofind out the reason?
Request you to please explain in details
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

As far as hair fall in a male is concerned, it could be

1) diffuse hair fall due to stress, chronic illness, certain medications, nutritional deficiencies, thyroid disorders etc( known as telogen effluvium)
2) hair fall from temporal areas, front and centre of scalp( known as male pattern baldness)
3) due to any other skin condition like severe dandruff, psoriasis, fungal infection etc.
4) due to alopecia areata where you get coin shaped lesions over scalp that tend to reappear and disappear.

Therefore, to help you out with your concern, I would like to know what kind of hair fall you are having. Uploading a picture would help me too. Also, send details regarding how much hair fall are you having per day, sites involved, any other skin condition you are having, any medications that you are taking, any previous surgery or illness in previous 6 months or so.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 minutes later
Dear Dr kalpana,

Hope you are doing well !!!!!!

I am loosing my hair from front side (both side of forhead) .

8-9 months back i am under treatment of Dr Batra for 1 year,My hair fall has stoped that time,but i have left the treatment and medication after compleation of 1 year after 6 months of leaving the treatment,I am again facing the same problem.

XXXXXXX
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

With the pattern of hair fall you have, it seems probably you are having male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). As the name suggests, it is due to genetic or hereditary factors and hormonal factors (male hormone testosterone converting more into its active form 5 DHT and that leads to recession of hairline).

So treat the same, use of minoxidil solution 5 percent or minoxidil- amenixil combination or minoxidil- finesteride solution and intake of an oral DHT blocker like Tablet finesteride would be helpful.

These medicines need to be continued for 4 to 6 months to see good response. Also initially, with minoxidil mild hair fall might be seen but that just points that minoxidil is working. In addition, treatment to maintain hair growth might be required lifelong in this type of hair fall i.e. you can stop finesteride but you might need to continue with minoxidil indefinitely.

These are prescription drugs, so it is always better to consult a dermatologist nearby, as that would ensure proper dosing and tapering of medicine as and when required to prevent any untoward effects.

You can also discuss the option of scalp mesotherapy with minoxidil, stem cell factors or platelet XXXXXXX plasma with your dermatologist to treat the same. These are new therapies having good response too.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.

Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 minutes later
Can You refer me some good doctors in Pune,So that i can consult with them
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I am really sorry to say that I have no idea of doctors in Pune as I practice in Delhi NCR. However, you can use healthcare magic portal to search for a good dermatologist in Pune in your nearby locality.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at this link.

WWW.WWWW.WW
If all your queries have been answered, you may close the discussion.