Experiencing severe ache in lower back and knees. Report said intervertebral disc space is reduced. Treatment?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am experiencing severe ache in lower back and heaviness in my knees and feet since deliverying in September. I visited local gynaec and was advised urine test and X XXXXXXX of spinal cod. The X XXXXXXX among other results say -
1. L5-S1 intervertebral disc space is reduced
2. There is sclerosis of the sacro iliac joint margins, this may be due to sacroiliatis
I have been further adviced to consult with Orthopedic doctor, however required your advice and interested in remedies to overcome this problem. I am taking Thyronom 100mcg.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

From description, it seems you might be suffering from Degenerative arthritis or osteoarthritis of the spine. This might be causing degeneration of the sacroiliac (SI) joints and in turn leading to inflammation and SI joint pain.

There is a wide range of nonsurgical options available. Following nonsurgical treatments can be effective in managing your symptoms:

1. Rest - A short period of rest may help calm the inflamed sacroiliac joints.
2. Heat and/or ice - Warmth or cold applied to the area will provide local pain relief. Application of a cold pack will help reduce the inflammation in the area. Application of warmth, such as a heating pad or hot tub, will help stimulate blood flow and bring healing nutrients to the area.
3. Sleep position - Changing ones sleep position can help alleviate pain while sleeping and at waking. It best to sleep on the side, with a pillow placed between the knees to keep the hips in alignment.
4. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation under supervision of your doctor.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you have no further query, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for sharing your diagnosis and remedies. So is this problem curable or life long i.e. I will have to continue the suggested remedies? Will exercising regularly or swimming help in subsiding the pain?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

This problem is curable. Exercise regularly and swimming helps in regaining the stretchbility and thus helpful for pain control.

I hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E