Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Experiencing problems controling urine discharge. Should I go to emergency?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 674 Questions
Hi Doctor: I'm experiencing problems controling urine discharge. It's not constant, but I'm having this problem since yesterday September 25. Should I go to emergency? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to go to the emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs XXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through your question and I understand that you are concerned about the sudden onset of urinary incontinence.

There is no need for you to go to the emergency if you can schedule an appointment with your PCP in the next couple of days.

The problem you are facing is called as urinary incontinence, and there are different types of it.

1. Stress incontinence,
2. Overflow incontinence,
3. Urge incontinence,
4. Functional incontinence.

Incontinence can occur due to infection in the bladder, week bladder muscle, overactive nerves of the bladder, or weakened support structures of the urethra (The tube that comes out from the bladder).

Generally in older women stress incontinence is the most common type, but it can be mixed with urge incontinence as well.

The best way to find out what is the cause in you would be to visit a urologist and then do some investigations like, Complete blood counts and urine routine exam to see for infection, then ultrasound scan and urodynamic studies to see for stress or urge incontinence. The doctor will examine you and will check for stress incontinence.

So my suggestion to you is, please schedule an appointment with your PCP, do the complete blood counts, urine routine exam along with an ultrasound scan.

Then let your PCP decide if s/he can treat you or you need a referral to a urologist.

Hope this information is both helpful and informative. Please do write back if you have further concerns.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Warm regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor