Experiencing pain in shoulder, breast, pins and needles in hands. Risks of cancer?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Question: I have a dull ache in my left breast, around my shoulder and have also been experiencing pins and needles in my hand from time to time. I thought It had been due to stress of my job and tension at first, as shoulder and neck tend to get very knotty. For just over a week my breast has really ached, I got my period two days ago but it doesn't feel like the same pain. I have been checked for breast cancer twice in last five years. Last time I we t fr a mammorgram they informed me I had fibrous tissue and it was just thick, I did not need to keep coming back. Of course I worry as there is cancer in my family and I lost my Father a few years ago to Lukiemia. I just saw these symptoms could significant to lung cancer... Am I worrying too much?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 4 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
It is good to know your awareness of cancer and getting screened for them, esp breast.
Lung CANCERS are common in smokers and that too after many years of smoking, though nonsmokers rarely get it.
If there are symptoms like persistent cough, blood in the sputum, there should be nothing to worry.
To me, your symptoms, look like what is called thoracic outlet syndrome, where an extra rib or thick muscle in the neck causes compression of the vessels or nerves in the neck giving rise to such symptoms.
Kindly discuss with your doc about the above issue and pls keep me posted on your progress.
Wishing you good health,

REGARDS
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I will have another massage this week to see If it helps & then go to my doctor.

What can I do to try and get rid of this?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome back.
The treatment essentially consists of removal of the cause.
So, we need to find the cause first to sort out things.
Things that could help are rest to the part and restriction of movements that trigger the events.
Hope this helps, wishing you good health
DR GS