Experiencing pain in knees, ankles and stiffness in calves when i use tread mill. Underlying cause?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: Male, 25, 186 Cms, 82 Kgs (Gende, Age, Height, Weight). Hi, I started gym early this year and continued for 6 months, I rejoined it after a break of 3 months recently. Job profile requires us to continuously move from one floor to other and out of 9 hours job 4 to 5 hours are spent standing/walking or moving through stairs. For past few days i am experiencing pain in my knees and ankles and stiffness in calves when i use tread mill. In addition when i get up in the morning or after sitting idle for few hours there is pain and stiffness in ankle joints and i have problem walking normal for 2-3 minutes. Please advise and let me know in case any additional information is required.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be due to decreased joint lubricants. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The mild pain and stiffness in the ankle joints is likely to be due to a mild decrease in the joint lubricants. A decrease in Vitamin D 3 levels or serum calcium and magnesium levels disturbance can also cause such symptoms. This can be detected by simple blood tests. Right now you can start taking joint lubricant supplements like glucosamine sulphate or chondroitin sulphate in addition to calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements after consulting your orthopedician. You should feel better in next 3-4 weeks with these supplements. Doing a hot fomentation will also help in reducing the stiffness. Do continue with the light non weight bearing exercises till the pain and stiffness subsides completely. You can also decrease the inclination of the treadmill for a few days. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.