Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Experiencing pain in inner elbow. Having soreness and pain. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
Hello I play baseball when I throw for a while my inner elbow begins to hurt and I stop throwing. I feel soreness and pain. do u have any suggestions on what I can do or what I might be doing wrong?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pitchers or golfers elbow. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. These are the symptoms of medial epicondylitis also known as golfer's elbow. However, it does not only occur in golfers. It is also called pitcher's elbow. It is caused by the overuse of the muscles in the forearm that allow you to grip, rotate your arm, and flex your wrist. Repetitive flexing, gripping, or swinging can cause pulls or tiny tears in the tendons. This causes pain and inflammation in the tendons. The pain is often most prominent on the bony prominence on the inside of your elbow. Sometimes the pain radiates along the inside of your forearm. There are a number of actions you can take to relieve the pain. When you experience the pain, apply ice as soon as possible for at least 20 minutes and continue to do this 3-4 times per day. Try to rest the elbow for a few weeks. If you return to baseball too soon you may make the injury worse. Paracetamol and ibuprofen will help the pain and inflammation. Stretching and strengthening exercises will help build muscle and protect the tendons. A forearm strap will help support your forearm and take the load off your elbow. Cortisone injections may help and your doctor would advise regarding the need for this treatment. When you are pain-free then a gentle return your baseball would be OK. Surgery is rarely needed but if these symptoms remain after 6 months then it may be worth considering. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I wish you a speedy recovery. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor