Experiencing pain in inner elbow. Having soreness and pain. What can I do?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I play baseball when I throw for a while my inner elbow begins to hurt and I stop throwing. I feel soreness and pain. do u have any suggestions on what I can do or what I might be doing wrong?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pitchers or golfers elbow. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. These are the symptoms of medial epicondylitis also known as golfer's elbow. However, it does not only occur in golfers. It is also called pitcher's elbow. It is caused by the overuse of the muscles in the forearm that allow you to grip, rotate your arm, and flex your wrist. Repetitive flexing, gripping, or swinging can cause pulls or tiny tears in the tendons. This causes pain and inflammation in the tendons. The pain is often most prominent on the bony prominence on the inside of your elbow. Sometimes the pain radiates along the inside of your forearm. There are a number of actions you can take to relieve the pain. When you experience the pain, apply ice as soon as possible for at least 20 minutes and continue to do this 3-4 times per day. Try to rest the elbow for a few weeks. If you return to baseball too soon you may make the injury worse. Paracetamol and ibuprofen will help the pain and inflammation. Stretching and strengthening exercises will help build muscle and protect the tendons. A forearm strap will help support your forearm and take the load off your elbow. Cortisone injections may help and your doctor would advise regarding the need for this treatment. When you are pain-free then a gentle return your baseball would be OK. Surgery is rarely needed but if these symptoms remain after 6 months then it may be worth considering. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I wish you a speedy recovery. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA