Experiencing pain from wrist which was fractured a year back. What could be the reason?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fractured my last wrist last year and have recently been receiving a lot of pain in it and have noticed that when i bend it forward it hurts a lot and can feel a bone over the skin
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Mostly probably overgrowth of bony tissue Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in. I would like to start by asking when the last x-ray imaging was done for your wrist? And also what treatment you received when you fractured bone(s) of your wrist? Now I shall like to let you know that, the bones that have been injured undergo a few stages before completing the healing process, among which there is a stage of new bone formation which helps in healing of the injured bone mostly by reunion and regrowth of the bony tissue. In some cases, this bony tissue grows more than is required and causes compression or pressure on the surrounding structures, which could very well be the cause for your presentation ma'am. Now, our first step should be imaging of your wrist along with a physical examination by an orthopedic doctor (bone and joint specialist). This will help us in establishing a diagnosis, and then direct treatment accordingly. I hope you understand why this is necessary ma'am. I also hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Thank you Dr. my last x-ray was probably around 10 months ago this was after my plaster cast came off. I was given physiotherapy after the cast was taken off and its been fine ever since until recently.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Long time ma'am, do go ahead with the x-ray Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. 10 months is a long time. Time enough for new bone formation, and the formation of a bony outgrowth. The next best step would be for radiographic imaging with the help of an x-ray, and obviously for a doctor to examine your wrist ma'am. I hope this is nothing serious, and will most probably get better with the simplest of treatment options. But please do not hesitate to keep me in the loop, and write back to me for any clarifications whatsoever. I am always available to help ma'am. Take care and wishing you lots of luck.