Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Experiencing pain due to enlarging and stretching of hemangiomas in the liver. Safe remedy?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
i have two hemangioma growing together one is6.8x5.9 cm the other is 4.3 x3.8 cm they are stretching the liver capsule. causing pain.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
As you are experiencing pain due to enlarging and stretching of two hemangiomas in the liver, intervention to lessen the pain or to remove the hemangiomas may be required.
Most of the time the treatment is conservative with symptomatic for the relief of pain with watchful observation to monitor their progression and their symptoms.
There are some options to remove the hemangiomas of the liver.
They are:
1. Surgery to remove the hemangioma: if the hemangioma can be easily separated
from the liver tissue.
2. Surgery to remove part of the liver, including the hemangiomas if they are not
separable from the liver tissue.
3. Procedures to stop the blood flow to the hemangioma by doing selective
hepatic artery ligation or feeding arterial embolization by injecting medication
into the artery.
Consult the Surgeon or Surgical Gastroenterologist to assess the need for intervention, the fitness for intervention, the extent of the hemangiomas on imaging investigation, and the feasibility to remove them by surgical interventions.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor