Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Experiencing pain above eye and back of head. How to overcome this problem?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5571 Questions
experiencing sudden pain above the right eye and also directly in the back of the head behind the same spot. at the same time, pain occurs above the mouth, on the right side. On another occasion, a shooting pain, almost like a shock, down the right arm all the way into the hand occurred.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.

These pains are neuralgic in nature, arising from the trigeminal nerve (face, head, above the eye & mouth) and cervical nerve (arm and hand pain).
If these are transient, there is no need to worry. However, if they keep recurring, evaluation should include MRI of brain and cervical spine, to find out the underlying cause.
For pain relief, you can take pregabalin or gabapentin capsules.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor