Experiencing occasional sharp pain in perineum area. Sexually not active. Any reason?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Question: Hi Dr.

I have been experiencing occasional sharp pain in my perineum area for about seventeen years now. I am 32 right now and still remember when it happened the first time. I was in school in 9th grade and masturbated for the third time in my life. However, during masterbation I kept a cloth tightly on the opening of my erect penis (so that no fluid drops on my bedroom floor). That cloth held back my ejaculation and somehow my lower body (specially the sexual orgasm) jolted intesely with the orgasm. I couldn't get any erection for the three next three days. One important aspect is that after that incident, my interest in sex has decreased considerably. I thought my sexual life was over. I got very scared. Anyway, I got my erection back within a week (but not the full interest in sex that is still missing after seventeen years).

I used to be very active in sports. But I noted that immediately after that incident, whenever I try to jump off a hieght of more that three feet (or more), I get a very very intense pain in my perineum that lasts for about 5-6 seconds. It goes away completely within 15 seconds. But those first 5-6 seconds are like someone has stabbed me in my perineum, means unbearable.

Right now, I am married with three children. I get normal erection whenever I want, however, I am sexually less active due to my less interest in sex. Sex is the last thing in my mind and I do it more because I have a duty to serve rather than of my interest. It's not that I am a XXXXXXX I in fact can't even watch the XXXXXXX movies.

Sometimes (1 out of 100), I get this 5-6 seconds pain when I feel bowel movement, but I try to hold it because I am away of the restroom. It again goes away within 15 seconds.

The only thing I know that I am missing something, a feeling that I used to have when girls were around. I can't jump off a truck when my friends do the same. However, I can run, play football, do long jump etc without pain. It's only the hieght that is a problem, but still, there is something missing is my life. I want to get rid of this occasional pain and get my feelings back. Can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later
Dear sir,

I shall be keen to know whether you have any urinary symptoms. What is your stream of urine like ? Do you have any burning while passing urine ?

Your symptoms suggest that you have chronic prostatitis. You should get yourself examined by urologist and get yourself started on alpha blockers under his care.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

All the best

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Many thanks for your response Dr. XXXXXXX Goel.

I do not have any urinary symptoms, i.e. no abnormal stream and no burning sensation during urination.

I do not have this pain all the time. It only occurs EVERY TIME I jump off a height of more than three feet or VERY FEW TIMES (1 out of 100) when I try to hold the bowel movement.

I am living a pretty normal life, except for this occasional pain (and I can avoid it if I do not jump at all) and less interest in sex.

Two years earlier, I met a urologist and he told me that it's some kind of nerve that is trapped between muscles, and my symptoms may remain there for the rest of my life. If I ever try to get it operated, I may get permanent sexual disability. So I should better keep it like this and avoid jumping off from heights for the rest of my life. What's the big deal if I am only having this pain twice a year for 5-6 seconds. I met this urologist in a party and he didn't check me in detail. It was just an occasional meeting. What he didn't realize was that I am still unfit even if I am getting the pain only twice in a year.

The reason I posted my symptoms on your site is that a week back I jumped off a truck and the excruciating pain that followed reminded me that I need to get rid of it.

17 years have passed and sometimes I forget about it for months. Only when I jump off certain heights and try to hold the bowel movement, it reminds me of the day when I masturbated.

I do not even remember now how I felt about opposite sex before that incident. Even a kissing scene or a glimpse of a woman's breasts in a movie used to excite me very much. But just one day later, these scenes became less attractive to me, just one day later!

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Best regards,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later
Dear Sir,

Now that I have a better description of your symptoms it seems that you have had self resolving torsion of testis. The torsion caused you severe pain and your fear of this pain reduced the interest in pain.

You have testes which has long cord ( Wobbly testes) and thus it can get torsioned on itself. Each time you jump from height or exert intraabdominal pain, the testis gets partially torsioned and thus the pain.

You should get yourself examined by urologist and get your testis fixed. This shall improve the matters a lot.

Best of luck. Take care.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel