Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Experiencing menopause. Started bleeding with severe cramps and mood swings. Concerned

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: h,i im 48 yrs old and have been experiencing menopause,awful mood swings,ive had mirena coil for 3 ,yrs,suddenly started bleeding alot and cramps and hot flushes,shd be getting coil out in new year,but mood swings and temper are really bad. thankyou
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for posting a query in the health care magic.
Mood swings and hot flushes are one of the most common problems during menopause. These problems are generally self remitting and will reduce with time. However if you are having distress, you should seek some treatment. Oestrogen replacement pills and pessaries can help you during this period and if symptoms of mood swing stay then in that case you should consider taking Prozac (Fluoxetine). You can contact your local GP so that you can get this prescriptions through the NHS.
Meanwhile exercise, good diet and keeping oneself busy with some creative work is important and will surely help you.
Cognitive behavioural therapy will also benefit you. Contact your local psychiatrist/GP for this purpose.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
I would be happy to help you further if you have any further queries.
If not, then in that case you may close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
Wish you good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 18 hours later
thankyou,i am taking norethisterone,my bleeding has stopped,i am seeing my doc on the 3rd for an examination,to see whats going on with coil,the hot flushes as anxiety,my doc suggested hrt last time,but wanted to stop bleeding first,i also aim to give up alcohol this year as i drink double the units i should in a week, i dont think this is helping me either,can yu suggest some advice on giving up. thankyou
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
I would surely help you in trying to give up the alcohol.
Taking of excess of alcohol could be a sign of masked depression. As we had discussed earlier I would recommend that you should consult a psychiatrist who can evaluate for the presence of depression. Especially when you have plenty of mood swings, Fluoxetine (Prozac) can take care of your mood swings as well as depressive symptoms. Naltrexone is a good drug to reduce the alcohol intake. It blocks the pleasure associated with taking alcohol and gradually the craving for alcohol reduces. It is available in the dose of 25 mg and is quite effective. Along with naltrexone, you can also take baclofen which will reduce your craving for alcohol. Since these are prescription drugs, I would request you to see a physician for the same. You should also look for other ways of entertainment and also engage yourself with sober groups. Immediate stoppage of alcohol may produce mild withdrawal symptoms such as tremors and heavy headedness and sleep disturbances occasionally. These symptoms generally reduce in severity gradually. If these symptoms are distressing, you should contact your physician or psychiatrist.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you a good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Withdrawal symptoms

doctor1 MD

i am 25 and been addicted to herion since ive been 18. since i dont have the money or transportation to get suboxone i buy them off the streets. ive been clean for bout 2 months now. i still have minor withdrawal symptoms when i dont have them what do u recomend?

doctor1 MD

I grew up with parents who smoke heavily. When I left home for uni I had terrible withdrawal symptoms, mood swings, increased appetite loss of sleep etc etc (although I had never smoked). I had to buy some nicotine patches and that sorted the problem.... 6 years ago. Are there any long term health effects I should worry about?

doctor1 MD

I have used Ambien for approximately 14 months. Started at 5mg/night, moving to 10mg/night shortly thereafter. Having trouble discontinuing use. Doctor advised that I take 5mg every other night for two nights, then quit. Terrible withdrawal symptoms. Any suggestions on how to stop using this medication?

doctor1 MD

Hi again, I've been taking 10 mgs of paxil for two days but can't stand it any longer, my stomach hurts everytime I take it. I was going to stay on ten for a week then go to five. I'm honestly so distraught over the stomach problems that I don't...

doctor1 MD

I'm using Nexito since last 4 years. if i dont take, i feel burning sense and sleeping fear and also brain darkness and uneasy. i do yoga , walk one hours but still my weight dosent control, please advice me XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have been taking 2 mg twice daily of clonazepam for anxiety since near death from a resistant staph infection 8 years ago. I am 800 miles away and more than six months from my prescribing doctor and was offered 50 mg vistaril or 25 mg of...