Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Experiencing left flank pain, shortness of breath. Ct scan showed small stone in kidney. Should I go to ER?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I have been experiencing left flank pain for 3 weeks and have had blood work and ct scan done. Ct scan showed a small stone in the left kidney. I have now been experiencing shortness if breath for over a week off and on. I have an appt. with urologist in 4 days but I am wondering if I should be going to an er?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 39 minutes later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Left flank pain for 3 weeks is too long. It needs to be addressed early.
In addition to small stone in the kidney, CT needs to be looked for stones in the kidney pipe (ureter), block to the flow of urine or infection in the kidney.
The blood and urine need to be checked for evidence of infection.
If you have fever or vomiting, kindly rush to the ER.
Also, since you are short of breath, it is better to rush to the ER.
Otherwise, if the pain is getting relieved with pain killers and no fever and the urologist appointment is likely in less than a day or two, you may wait.
Take care,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor