Experiencing intermittent bouts of headache, chills and sweats. Developed achy legs. All test negative. Cause?

Posted on Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Infections
Question: I have been experiencing intermitent bouts of severe headache chills and sweats and
severe headaches. Developed very achy legs which is becoming more and more severe
and constant. Headache is constant. All tests are negative, I am
suspicious of Lyme disease. The test was negative. Also very
fatiqued and weak- out of work.

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat test after two weeks, arthritis??

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX
You have mentioned the symptoms but you have not specified for how long you have been having fever, headache and chills. Your arthritic symptoms are suggestive of Lyme's disease, but you have mentioned that you have been tested negative for the same.
Lyme's disease is a tick borne disease caused by a bacteria called Borrelia. It is suspected when patient has fever, headcahe, body pain, joint pains and lymph nodes enlarged.
The lab test usually done for Lyme's disease is ELISA for antibodies against the bacteria. These antibodies usually take atleast a month to appear. So if you have tested negative, I suggest you repeat the test after two weeks or so.
Your medical history suggests high cholesterol and you are sixty one years old.
I have come across many patients who develop arthritis at this age which could be aggravated by fever and viral infections. I suggest you get an orthopedic opinion too. Meanwhile get in touch with your GP for analgesics which will help you deal with your pain and fever.
Thanks,
I hope I have satisfied your query.
Wishing you a fast recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Roopa Hiremath 2 days later
I started with chills and sweating in mid-July. Headaches started at about that time,too. I have suffered fatigue for quite awhile before that. The aching in legs began about 2 weeks ago- in both legs below legs-quite severe- no medication
helps the pain in legs or the headaches.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain killers, Rest, Orthopedic consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Your symptoms have been there for over a month now, so if you have been tested negative for Lyme's disease, you do not have Borrelia infection.

As I have suggested earlier get in touch with an orthopedic doctor for your leg pain as you might be having arthritis. I would also suggest you get your blood pressure checked as you are sixty one years old.

You have mentioned that no medication helps the pain in legs and for the headache. I understand this pain has altered your lifestyle drastically and is emotionally affecting you. Now, since the spectrum of pain relieving medication has increased I assure you if you take appropriate medication after getting a proper consultation, the pain will definitely reduce.

I suggest you rest your legs as much as possible and elevate your legs while lying down. Keep some soft cushions under your legs for support.

Wishing a fast recovery,
Get back if any more doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist