Experiencing hypersensitivity and tenderness around waist after kidney removal. Is it normal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had my right kidney removed laproscopically one month ago. After two weeks I started experiencing extreme hypersensitivity around the upper end of large incision with tenderness around my waist. I can't wear anything but sweatpants because it hurts too much. It is keeping me from returning to normal activities and is not improving. Is this normal and how long will it normally take for the nerves to recover?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can take few months before it will get better. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, such hypersensitivity is a very normal thing. Due to incision skin nerves get damaged. And it needs long time for complete nerves repair. Sometimes such area can stay without feeling for ever. Hypersensitivity can last up to few months. It should slowly get better. However it can take up to a year for complete nerves repair. During that time numbness in the scar area will be present but the discomfort should go away (your skin should get used to it). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.