Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Experiencing grumpiness, irritability, tiredness and cramping. Trying to conceive. Pregnancy symptoms?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7251 Questions
Hi :) I have been trying to conceive for roughly 3 months... My last period was on the 27th of December, was sexually active from the 20th of December til the 6th of January.. I started experiencing grumpiness, irritability, tiredness and cramping around the 18th of XXXXXXX I woke on the 20th of XXXXXXX to brown discharge... A week early before my period is due, the 21st it was red but not very heavy.. Then it turned brown again on the 22nd & 23rd.. Then nothing. It's now the 5th of feb and I feel fluttering in my lower abdomen, feel full, no appetite.. And I thought I may get my period on the 27th but didn't. I've taken tests but all negative... Should I wait a week or two before getting a blood test?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 22 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

As you have 30-day cycles, your date of ovulation could be around 13th of January. Implantation bleeding would not occur so soon ( it usually happens 10-14 days after conception). It is more likely to be due to a small breakthrough mid-cycle.

As you have not yet attained your period, you should exclude the possibility of pregnancy. You can get your blood tests for beta-hCG now. Tests for beta hCG are very sensitive and specific and can give positive results one week before the missed period onward. You can get serial tests done if your first test does not show anything, with a gap of 3-4 days. While urine pregnancy tests could be deceptive, blood tests are mostly not.

You may also get a trans-vaginal ultrasound done to assess the situation.

Hope I have clarified your doubts. If you need any further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor