Experiencing fluctuation in periods. What could be wrong?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: My period started on the 14th ended the 19th its the 25 the period is back what could be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Clinical evaluation by Dr and ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for your query, It s not unusual at this age to experience fluctuations in periods as such. However, it is important to get a proper clinical evaluation. Most of the time, there is no actual illness that is found after serious investigations. This is generally called dysfunctional uterine bleeding, arising mainly due to some abnormalities in hormonal secretion. It is however important to know whether you are on any hormonal contraceptives or not, or if you have changed drugs recently or not. If this is the first time you are experiencing, it might be necessary to observe. IN case it is repeating, it might be necessary to get a complete physical evaluation and an abdominal ultrasound to ensure that there is no serious problem in the ovaries and in the uterus (womb). This shall set the stage for a diagnosis is dysfunctional uterine bleeding, easily managed with hormonal therapy. A physical exam and ultrasound are requirements for this diagnosis to be made. Treatment is easy and effective with hormonal therapy. However, I do recommend you get examined by a doctor and also get a possible ultrasound done. In case you have follow up questions, do not hesitate asking. I shall be more than grateful making positive contributions to your health. Thanks and kind regards. DR Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D