Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Experiencing fluctuation in periods. What could be wrong?

Answered by
Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 193 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: My period started on the 14th ended the 19th its the 25 the period is back what could be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Clinical evaluation by Dr and ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for your query, It s not unusual at this age to experience fluctuations in periods as such. However, it is important to get a proper clinical evaluation. Most of the time, there is no actual illness that is found after serious investigations. This is generally called dysfunctional uterine bleeding, arising mainly due to some abnormalities in hormonal secretion. It is however important to know whether you are on any hormonal contraceptives or not, or if you have changed drugs recently or not. If this is the first time you are experiencing, it might be necessary to observe. IN case it is repeating, it might be necessary to get a complete physical evaluation and an abdominal ultrasound to ensure that there is no serious problem in the ovaries and in the uterus (womb). This shall set the stage for a diagnosis is dysfunctional uterine bleeding, easily managed with hormonal therapy. A physical exam and ultrasound are requirements for this diagnosis to be made. Treatment is easy and effective with hormonal therapy. However, I do recommend you get examined by a doctor and also get a possible ultrasound done. In case you have follow up questions, do not hesitate asking. I shall be more than grateful making positive contributions to your health. Thanks and kind regards. DR Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Menorrhagia

doctor1 MD

i have vaginal bleeding that started about three months ago and sometimes the bleeding comes out in lumps.I have stopped menstruating for over a year before this just started. PAP smear was ok. Ultra sound scan said ovaries ok.arto uterus empty and significant fluid in sac.cervix enlarged (41*35).The conclusion of the ultrasound scan is that heterogenous cervical mass and pap smear is advised. What could be my situation and what do you advise I do to treat this. Thank you

doctor1 MD

I am a 51 year old woman who has been test for menopause and found not yet in that state. I have frequent, heavy period and spotting to the tune of bleeding up to 14- 20 days a month. I am currently taking iron as prescribed because my hemoglobin was so low. My Obgyn has prescribed Lo Loestrin FE to help regulate my period but I have never been on the pill in my life. I ve already lost my right tube and had my left one tied. My pap was normal. I ve never had children. I am very sensitive to hormones and STILL have a very high libo. The side effects seem just as bad as my condition with breakthrough bleeding. At my age will this RX help me?

doctor1 MD

I have been on Norethisterone to stop a prolonged Heavy period. I started taking them on Wednesday morning. The bleeding stopped on Wednesday evening but on Thursday there was still some spotting and today is Friday and I think when I urinate there is still a little blood. Is this normal?

doctor1 MD

My period is 16 days late(this month may), last month(in April)it was here for 5 days and I had menorrhagia for the first time almost two weeks after I was sexually active, a week after I spotted lightly. I m having high pregnant symptoms yet I took a hpt it was negative and blood test which I was told was negative but needed to be retested( not sure as to why) Could there be a chance that I am pregnant?

doctor1 MD

I have had heavy menstral bleeding with clots for 21 days. I have always had normal periods of 6-7 days a couple of days heavy. This has been heavy all 21 days so much so that I have gone though 3 1/2 pkgs. overnight pads. Should I go to an...

doctor1 MD

Hi i am 45 years old . Have severe pain in lower back and at the pelvic area during my periods. Also have heavy bleeding. What care do i take to reduce the pain and the bleeding

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 32 yrs old. I have menorrhagia and have been advised to take Femilon to control my bleeding and painful periods. However I always had a 26-28 days cycle. I also have Subclinical Hypothyroid and anemia as well. I am presently taking Iron...