Experiencing fatigue, pressure in head and a recurring head fuzziness. How to get cure?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: For the past several weeks, I have been experiencing fatigue, head pressure And a recurring head fuzziness (only way I can describe it). I M by nature an anxious person and I'm wondering if perhaps my anxiety (perhaps triggered by a recent event) may be the cause of my physical symptoms. I have seen fatigue listed as a symptom of general anxiety disorder on several websites but not the head fuzziness. Also sometimes I get cold all over, and sometimes I get warm feeling in the skin of my head. Can't stop thinking about this which I think may be making it worse. I also get occasional muscle fatigue. The fuzzy head is the worst part though. It is affecting my ability to function. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is quite possible that the fuzziness in your head could be anxiety-related. It is important to understand that anxiety can present with not only psychological symptoms but also with physical or somatic symptoms. Now, the physical manifestations of anxiety can be many and can also be quite varied from person to person. Fuzziness of the head is indeed a symptom which is often reported in persons with anxiety. Various bodily sensations like hot or cold flushes, tingling, numbness, etc. are also commonly seen in anxiety disorders.

Now, this does NOT mean that 'everything is in your head' and that you are simply imagining the symptoms. Not at all. It has been found that anxiety disorders are associated with certain neuro-chemical imbalance in the brain and this can cause the person's pain and sensory threshold to get lowered. This can cause a person to become 'hypersensitive' to sensory stimuli, and therefore have various sensory symptoms. Also, in anxiety disorders, there is a 'hyper-arousal' of the nervous system, which can cause symptoms such as head fuzziness, dizziness, fogged sensations, etc. The underlying anxiety also causes a person to become more worried about these physical symptoms, and very sson, before the person realizes it, this worry / anxiety itself then starts worsening the symptoms more. Soon this becomes a viscious cycle, leaving the person with more symptoms, suffering and disability.

Since your symptoms seem to be causing you significant distress and disability, I would suggest that it would be worthwhile to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment. If your symptoms are predominantly anxiety-related, then there are effective treatment options - in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help you overcome your problems.There are also several psychological techniques and relaxation therapies, for example, progressive muscle relaxation, applied relaxation, biofeedback, etc. which can yield effective and long-lasting results. Additionally, you can also try simple relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, yoga, etc. which can be quite helpful. Regular physical exercise helps in relieving both the physical as well as psychological symptoms of anxiety and also helps you stay more functional.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 days later
Doctor:

Thank you for your reply. Since your answer I have been working to relax and I have been somewhat successful in working through the fuzzy head feeling I describe. However, even at my most relaxed like post massage or meditation session, I am still experiencing substantial fatigue. It comes on suddenly, feels like it is emanating from my head, makes me weaker in the limbs, and causes pressure in my face and ear tubes and a little bit of a headache.Sometimes it lasts only for a short time and other times longer. I don't have it all the time, but when it hits it hits hard And is pretty debilitating. Have you seen other patients who have anxiety have a symptom like this. It's not with me all the time but hits me two or three times a day. It almost feels like a chemical is being released by my brain and rushing through my body and making me exhausted. It feels like it is emanating from my head even though I feel it elsewhere. It has me very worried which is probably making it worse. I am seeking professional help for my anxiety, but do you think it will help with the type of fatigue I'm describing. Just to be clear there are times I feel fine and think I am relaxed and then this just hits me. Wondering if all the stress I have been under is still triggering this response even in those moments when I think I am feeling calm. Thanks for your previous Answer and any additional advice you can provide.
Another piece of info, I feel like some of the recent time the fatigue feeling has hit, I have been able to counteract it with meditation. What does all this mean?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 22 hours later
Hello again,

These bouts of fatigue oiginating from your head, which you are experiencing are not characteristic of an particular medical or neurological condition. They are also likely to be due to anxiety. Sometimes, anxiety can manifest itself as out-of-the-blue bouts of physical symptoms. It is not necessary that these anxiety attacks should be preceeded or accompanied by a psychological or emotional experience of anxiety. In other words, anxiety can manifest as purely physical symptoms even when a person is not consciously "feeling anxious". The fact that you have been able to counteract these symptoms with meditation adds more evidence to thse symptoms being anxiety-related.

So, I would advise you not to worry too much about these symptoms but continue to practice relaxation techniques and medication. Additionally, with professional help, you will be soon able to overcome these problems.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist