Experiencing fast heartbeat while laying down and throat hurts while swallowing. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: my 5 year daughter is complaining that her heart is beating very fast when she lays down. She says that it also makes her throat hurt a bit - like she can't swallow...what does this mean? should I be concerned? It has happened the last three nights including this evening.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

A child complaining of heart beating fast should not be ignored. It needs to be evaluated. I would advise you to take her to pediatrician who will examine her clinically & evaluate her condition. He will also record a ECG (electrocardiogram) to diagnosis the cause of rapid heart rate. This may also be caused by dehydration which is commonly associated with a viral fever. Both the pain in the throat and the rapid heart rate can be caused by this. Give her plenty of fluids till you are able to take her for an examination.

Also pain in throat could be an associated symptom. She might have developed a throat infection that might be paining her while swallowing anything. Don't worry, a detailed clinical examination will help out to find the cause of her symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question i will be happy to help you. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli