Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Experiencing electrical shock like episodes from diaphragm area to hip bone. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
My daughter is 15 and been complaining of electrical shock-like episodes that run down her sides from about her diaphram area to her hip bone. She said it feels like a straight line that radiates towards her back, but zips down to the hip area. I am not sure if this is just part of growing pains, or if it is something I should be concerned about.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The shock like episodes on her sides is suggestive of a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause. The nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.
These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement.
Many causes of such sensations are there. These include injury to the back or spinal cord, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in the body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations. She can take some methylcobalamin supplements till you consult her neurophysician.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor