Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Experiencing electric shock sensation in arms. Is this a nerve related problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12739 Questions
I have been experiencing what I can only describe as 'Electric Shock' in my arms for about a year now. The 'Shock' starts in my arm just below the shoulder more towards the front, it only lasts a second but has become more frequent lately. I think of it as nerve related. Can you explain what this is?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The sudden electric shock like feelings that you are having is likely to be a nerve related problem may be due to a nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord.
Another possible cause is vitamin B complex deficiency, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, hypothyroidism or diabetes.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
In case the problem persists, then do consult your physician for a few investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor