Experiencing electric shock sensation in arms. Is this a nerve related problem?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have been experiencing what I can only describe as 'Electric Shock' in my arms for about a year now. The 'Shock' starts in my arm just below the shoulder more towards the front, it only lasts a second but has become more frequent lately. I think of it as nerve related. Can you explain what this is?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
The sudden electric shock like feelings that you are having is likely to be a nerve related problem may be due to a nerve root compression at the level of spinal cord.
Another possible cause is vitamin B complex deficiency, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, hypothyroidism or diabetes.
You need to keep your body well hydrated with plenty of fresh fruit juices.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to avoid dehydration.
Taking vitamin B complex supplements and methylcobalamin supplements for at least two weeks regularly will help in reducing your problem.
In case the problem persists, then do consult your physician for a few investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.