Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Experiencing dull pain on knees, specially when lifting weights. Suggest?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Currently, I am experiencing dull pain on the interior part of my left knee. It seems to be a little swollen. The problem started back in last October and for a while, it seems to subside. I noticed since when I lifted a heavy bag of grocery, the pain has moved to the upper part of my knee. I'm female, 61 and average weight for my height. My physical activities include gardening for four hours a day including normal housework and I do not work out. I feel I am getting enough exercise by doing these chores. Should I continue to work with my pain or should I give it a rest? Please advise
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should give adequate rest for a few days.

Detailed Answer:

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of osteoarthritis left knee. Osteoarthritis treatments can slow the progression of the disease, relieve pain and improve joint function.

You should give adequate rest for a few days. Once the acute pain subsides, do regular knee exercise which can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking or swimming.

Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.
Apply over-the-counter pain creams or gels which may provide temporary relief from osteoarthritis pain.
Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin D3 and minerals.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor