Experiencing depression and tearful most of the day. How to overcome depression?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Eating Disorders
Question: Once in a while i go through an episode of depression where im tearful most of the day and sometimes cry so much that im sobbing for hours. Im having an episode right now. My psychiatrist says its most likely anxiety induced depression that goes along with my OCD. But what can i do to get myself out of this rut and cut this depression short
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Combined treatment will be helpful.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Considering case history, there are 2 possibilities in your case:
-Primary diagnosis OCD leading to depressive symptoms on different time.
-OCD along with recurrent depressive disorder

But in the treatment there is not a problem as OCD treatment also relieve depression.

OCD and Depression is not always situational (because of stress). Many times it is biological due to biochemical changes in brain. Such OCD/Depression does not improve by exercise or guidance or lifestyle modifications only but all these measures help in recovery with medicines/CBT. Your problem appears to biological to me due to its severity. Such problem occurs most commonly due to lack of serotonin in brain, apart from other neurotransmitters.

There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. In your case considering symptoms severity I would prefer combined treatment (drug and non-drug) in your case.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy and ERP (exposure and response prevention) under psychotherapist supervision, also takes weeks to show its effect.

Same time following steps will help you:
-Get help of nearby psychiatrist/psychologist.
-Ventilate your feeling to some close family member or therapist.
-Look forward in life.
-Make structured routine and focus on it.
-Take healthy diet and proper sleep.
-Avoid any substance use (if present).
-Relaxation exercise like daily brisk walk, yoga and breathing exercise

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal