Experiencing delay in periods. Had sex without penetration. What could be the reason for periods being skipped?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: iI'm 24 yrs old.. I usually get my periods 26 days once.. Dis tym it's post 10 days frm my regular periods date..I had sex 3 months back...n last two months I got my periods correctly..duringsex penis or semen dint go inside vagina... What could b d reason fr my periods being skipped??
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its not preganncy related...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

What I understand from your question is, you had sexual intercourse 3 months back, and you have missed your periods this month. Then from that history pregnancy is ruled out, there could be other reasons for delayed periods like stress, because sometimes stress can cause delay in periods.

My opinion is, currently you dont have to get evaluated for other causes presently, you can wait and if the delay in period persists then thorough evaluation needs to be done to know the cause of delayed periods: like scan pelvis, serum FSH -follicular stimulating hormone levels and thyroid function tests..etc to rule out thyroid and PCOS-poly cystic ovarian diseases.

Also kindly use some contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.
Good luck!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Arif N Khan 16 minutes later
I usually get it regularly bt ly dis Month dis has happened..are u sure tat pregnancy is 100% ruled out??n I XXXXXXX want to get pregnant now..we are planning fr a child a year later...
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Impossible to be pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

As you had your last sexual intercourse 3 months back, considering that its impossible for you to be pregnant now. Still if you are in doubt then you can go for pregnancy test. Urine pregnancy test kits are available over the counter at most pharmacies. It can also be done at a laboratory.
Please ask if you have more questions.

If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW