Owl Image

Experiencing coughing with mucus phlegm. Taken Z packs. Sinus infection?

Owl Image
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Question
Hi, I am experiencing alot coughing during the day & at night,w. some mucus phlegm and sore left side ribs and ribcage for close to 4weeks. I have taken 2 z-packs in the last 2weeks and still haven't cut down the coughing and the plugged up ears and phlegm.my main concern is the soreness on the left side of my ribs and area lining my ribcage. I figured I had a sinus infection but after using two z-packs in the last couple of weeks, I fell I may have something else. Any idea what that may be?
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 31 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Violent or continuous coughing may cause chest pain.

2. Get a chest auscultation and a Chest X-ray done. If these are normal and if you have normal blood tests no eosinophilia), no fever or breathlessness then you may get a prescription for supportive medication from your physician. Get an ear examination and a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done. If symptoms do not subside, get a Sinus X-ray / plain Scan CT done.

3. Anti inflammatory, anti-allergic, mucolytic medication along with a medicated gargle and cough suppressant along with steam inhalation may help.

4. Keep a local physician's informed. Anti hypertensive (blood pressure) medicines may also be responsible, if you are on any. A Post Nasal drip (PND) due to sinusitis and acid reflux ix also worsens symptoms.

5. Use warm clothing and drink warm liquids. Avoid sour, spicy and cold liquids. If this is only a hyper-reactive airway after a viral infection, it will subside in a few weeks.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.