Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Experiencing coughing with mucus phlegm. Taken Z packs. Sinus infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
Hi, I am experiencing alot coughing during the day & at night,w. some mucus phlegm and sore left side ribs and ribcage for close to 4weeks. I have taken 2 z-packs in the last 2weeks and still haven't cut down the coughing and the plugged up ears and main concern is the soreness on the left side of my ribs and area lining my ribcage. I figured I had a sinus infection but after using two z-packs in the last couple of weeks, I fell I may have something else. Any idea what that may be?
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 31 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Violent or continuous coughing may cause chest pain.

2. Get a chest auscultation and a Chest X-ray done. If these are normal and if you have normal blood tests no eosinophilia), no fever or breathlessness then you may get a prescription for supportive medication from your physician. Get an ear examination and a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done. If symptoms do not subside, get a Sinus X-ray / plain Scan CT done.

3. Anti inflammatory, anti-allergic, mucolytic medication along with a medicated gargle and cough suppressant along with steam inhalation may help.

4. Keep a local physician's informed. Anti hypertensive (blood pressure) medicines may also be responsible, if you are on any. A Post Nasal drip (PND) due to sinusitis and acid reflux ix also worsens symptoms.

5. Use warm clothing and drink warm liquids. Avoid sour, spicy and cold liquids. If this is only a hyper-reactive airway after a viral infection, it will subside in a few weeks.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor