Experiencing constant pain after arthroscopic surgery to repair ACL and MCL. Cause and cure?

Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had orthoscopic surgery to repair my ACL, MCL and lateral meniscus. I am now experiencing constant pain through my calf and top of my foot suggesting superficial peroneal nerve injury. What is the best treatment for this injury?
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 3 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your problem

The possibilities in your case could be 1. Peroneal neuropathy 2. Lumbo-sacral radiculopathy.

A MRI scan will help understand the nature of nerve compression. You will benefit with medications like Gabapentine, pregabaline, duloxetine etc. Physiotherapy will also help you recover from pain. If the diagnosis turns out to be radiculopathy and you don't respond to these treatment and MRI shows some problem in relation to the radiculopathy, surgical management is another option.

Hope this clarifies your query,
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 13 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Dash,
I am presently seeing a physiotherapist to relieve pain and recover mobility. Is there a time frame you would place on recovery? My surgery was the 23 XXXXXXX 2013, and a received a cortisone injection on the 12 of Feb. which increased the pain.
Thank You
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 42 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Your pain may recover over a period of 12 weeks time. Continue aggressive physiotherapy without neglect. You will improve and please donot worry.

Best wishes