Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Experiencing consistent tinnitus. MRI showed fluid in mastoid air cell. Required treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9396 Questions
I have been experiencing consistent tinnitus. had a MRI scan and shows increased fluid present in the left mastoid air cells withe a small amount of fluid in the right. the appearance is non specific but may reflect inflammatory change in the mastokis. Fluid in the left mastoid air cells may suggest mastoiditis. clinical correlation suggested. MY ENT said nothing to worry about - however not sure and also could this be the cause of the onset of tinnitus? what treatment and lifestyle changes would you suggest?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us. I have read the attached report.

Tinnitus is very rarely associated with mastoiditis. Although a few cases have reported tinnitus, this was assumed to be due to the drainage of fluid accumulated.

The most commonly prescribed treatment for tinnitus includes:surgery, electrical stimulation, drugs (eg. benzodiazepines, tricyclics, etc; although all drugs carry a certain risk, and side effects)
-You could initiate a few lifestyle changes like:
Zinc supplements
Avoid smoking
Avoid caffeine
Reducing salt intake
Vitamin supplements (mainly vitamin B12)
Reducing alcohol intake has reportedly helped in some cases
Limit the use of NSAID group of drugs
Regular exercise increases blood flow to the ear
Avoid keeping your head in a hyperextended position for long durations

Whereas mastoiditis is treated with antibiotic therapy; if this fails, surgery is performed.

I hope I have succeeded in providing you with the information you were looking for. Feel free to write back to me with any further clarifications or more elaborate explanation of any of the above mentioned information. I would love to be of assistance.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor