Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Experiencing chest pain and tickle in throat with dry cough. Any thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14831 Questions
I am experiencing a tickle in my throat that doesn't seem to be going away - I would describe it tickle that is creating a dry cough. I'm also experiencing some mild pain in my chest just below the sternum, although it is not a regular pain, it seems to occur more after meals. any thoughts??
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The area just below the sternum is called the epigastric region and it is where the stomach is anatomically located, this is why it is occurring after some of your meals. So it would be said that you are experiencing epigastric pain.
Epigastric pain can be due to a number of reasons such as:(1) GERD- this is a common reason for this discomfort. It can, in some but not all persons, be associated with other symptoms such as bloating, regurgitation of food, burning pain, in severe cases -vomiting (2) intolerance to particular foods- this would be discovered by noting the foods that provoke the pain response (3) peptic ulcer disease- this can be caused by medication, presence of a particular bacteria in the stomach called H pylori which can be identified on blood test (4) presence of any lesions within the stomach

Though , in some persons, GERD and peptic ulcer disease can cause irritation of the throat due to the acid refluxing , the main cause is usually related to the sinuses or the nasal passages.
In some, there may be additional symptoms such as a post nasal drip.
This symptom , if irritating, usually resolves with use of a topical nasal spray and an antihistamine which can be prescribed by your doctor.

You may want to consider, if possible , visiting your doctor for an assessment of your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor