Experiencing chest pain and pain near pelvic bone. Ultrasound revealed epididymitis. What is the cause for pain?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: For about a month and a week now I've been experiencing random chest pains, and it spread to my back a couple weeks in. I notice I am more prone to getting aches and pains from sitting too long. The other day I was at work (night shift) and I started getting what I thought was indigestion from something I ate. It was a dull pain lower and to the right of my naval, right beside where you can feel that pelvic bone around the waist line. It got worse and worse until I pretty much collapsed and went to the ER (Thankfully I work at a hospital.) After many tests they could not find the cause, however, they noticed my white blood cell count was raised a little. After finally doing an ultrasound, thinking I might have testicular torsion for a second time, they told me I had epididymitis. They gave me an antibiotic shot and gave me Doxycycline. I was in tremendous pain so they also shot me with morphine and dilaudid. The doctor was NOT very nice and also did not give me much attention even though they were not busy. (I work over IT and I know everyone there, they don't say great things about him, and now I know why.) Anyway, back to the point. I was wondering if you had ever heard of the pains and aches I have been experiencing being linked to the infection in the epididymis. I want to get more help with this unfortunately I do not have insurance. I have alot of pain on my middle right back right back a couple ribs up from the bottom of the ribcage, for another note. Thank you very much ahead of time. I
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain is due to Epididymitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Acute infection of Epididymis (Epididymitis). One can get severe pain due to dragging of the spermatic core when epididymis get infected, This pain is referred along the distribution of Genitofemoral nerve and may give rise to pain at the back and towards the rib cage. Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to. Please take broad spectrum antibiotics along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Take non steroidal anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily and use scrotal support to avoid dragging of the testicles .This will help to relieve pain and subside infection of the epididymis. Ensure to drink more water.to keep your urine dilute Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. . .