Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Experiencing burning sensation in chest and unable to sleep properly. Worrisome

Answered by
Dr. Ganesh Sanap


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 561 Questions

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 32, male. I am experiencing an irritation ( sort of burning) in the left side of my chest for the past couple of days. As a result havent been able to sleep properly as well. My doctor says its due to acidity but am
Not convinced.Also, i have recovered from hepatitis A a few days back.. I have no medical
History and am fairly active. please advise as am a bit worried about this.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 37 minutes later
Hepatitis A is not related to chest pain or burning sensation at all. I think your physician is correct regarding diagnosis of gastritis.

If you are having severe chest pain then it is serious condition. However, at your age it very less likely that cardiac problem occurs. Just for precaution, you can get your ECG done from your physician.

Don't worry too much, you’re nearly normal healthy adult.

Hope I have answered your query. If any doubts, then please let me know.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Severe chest pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, whilst exercising I developed a bad chest pain that spread from breastbone area across to my left shoulder, my shoulder blade and then progressively down my arm. I could barely lift my arm afterwards for about 20 minutes. I am 28, 150lbs any and 5.6 I had pre-eclampsia during my first pregnancy and suffered very high blood pressure for 3 days before admition to the point of severe chest pain. I have regular palpitations, mostly when led in bed at night. Should I be getting this looked into?

doctor1 MD

I m having inner vein pain on each arm, it s been reoccurring pain on and off for years. Four months ago I had severe chest pain, middle left, and since middle right, stabbing pain that is difficult not to shout out in agony- and I definitely have a high pain tolerance. Went to the ER the day AFTER I was up all night in pain, the freq upped to a break every few seconds and grabbing my chest and crying all night- last week same exact thing but in my right leg, after 7 hours of computer work, both hosp visits did their checks- no dvt and nothing in my lungs. I am overweight. I can t think of anything I could have- embarassing history- grandparents were cousins and married each other..genetic defect? mother has acute anemia and something else i can t pronounce that makes her reject blood transfusions and gr-grandfather had hemophelia. Just found out my med history when i found my biological family last yr. plz help!

doctor1 MD


For the last 18 months I have had the following symptoms near constantly day and night:

- Severe to moderate pressure-type pain in the middle of my chest from my throat to my upper stomach

- Pain and sensitivity to pressure (like when I press on it, lean forward, or when I eat) in my upper stomach

- Nausea

In September 2008 I tested positive via Hida Scan (34.9%) for low gallbladder function. Later that month, my gallbladder was removed, but my symptoms have remained.

In February 2009 I underwent an Endoscopic Ultrasound, which revealed that I was born with a Pancreatic Divisem. Doctors ruled out that this was the cause of the symptoms due to the fact that my amylase and lipase levels are normal.

To date doctors have been able to rule out the following as possible causes:

GERD/Bile Reflux

Esophageal Spasms

Gallbladder Stones/ Dysfunction

Pancreatic Dysfunction

Cardiac Related Problems (Angina, Coronary Spasms, Pereicarditis, etc).

Hiatal Hernia


Celiac Disease

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction

Thyroid Condition



Since my symptoms started in May of 2008 I have been to the ER almost 10 times and have had multiple blood draws for (among others) amylase/lipase, sprue panel, thyroid levels as well as CBC rate and hepatitis and a H. Pylori stool sample. I have also had the following tests all which turned up negative:

07-08-08 Gallbladder Ultrasound

07-23-08 Endoscopy

07-28-08 EKG Stress Test/Pulmonary SVC

09-12-08 Barium Swallow

09-17-08 Hida Scan

09-26-08 Gallbladder Surgery

01-09-09 Chest MRI

01-19-09 EGD with MRCP

02-02-09 EGD with Ultrasound

02-06-09 Barium Meal (Gastric Emptying Study)

02-12-09 Small Bowel Follow-Through

02-17-09 EGD with Bravo Placement

06-15-09 Colonoscopy

03-16-10 EGD with Sprue Biopsy

On May 19th 2008 my wife and I took a day trip to Tijuana, Mexico while on vacation in San Diego, CA. Before crossing back over to the US, I stopped ate at taco stand close to the boarder eating two chicken tacos and two pork tacos along with two bottled Cokes. There were no immediate negative effects, but 24 hours later I was having signs of food poisoning in the form of severe cramps, dehydration, nausea and diherria. After a visit to the doctor's office I was given some anti-biotics and felt better generally except for a persistent gnawing at the top of my stomach. Another trip back to the doctor and I was diagnosed with gastritis, tested for H. Pylori and parasites and given a prescription for general Protonix and anti-parasitic medicine. After a few weeks I began to feel better generally and went for a run. This proved to be a mistake because after the run the gnawing sensation returned. I went to the doctor again and this time was checked for gallstones through an ultrasound which came up negative. I was told to continue taking the Protonix and limit my diet to things containing low fat and low acid. That same day I began having severe chest pain, but being only 28 and in good condition assumed that it was nothing serious and after calling the doctor was told that it was most likely acid reflux or esophageal spasms. After a few more weeks of pain and no results from the Protonix I decided to switch to another general practitioner and was able to get in to see a GI specialist. After a barrage of tests ordered by both physicians in late September I had gallbladder surgery. When my symptoms didn't clear up after a few months I was subjected to more testing and tried various drugs to combat smooth and then skeletal muscle tension including nitro glycerin. My GI doctor has ruled out the need for an ERCP, claiming that because my amylase and lipase levels are steady and the risks for the test are too high. The doctor also claimed that I most likely had 'Heightened Viscera Noceception' (which from what I can tell, means absolutely nothing) and that I should get onto an SSRI to correct the problem. This idea was fast-tracked following an emotional breakdown after the death of my brother. I was put on Paxil and Ativan for anxiety and told by my newly prescribed psychiatrist that my pain could be a constant series of anxiety attacks. I was on these medications for eight months and even at maximum dosage both saw no significant improvement. In January 2010 I received the results of a blood draw from a third-party 200 Food Panel testing for IgG. The test indicated that I had an alarmingly high intolerance for wheat, gluten and yeast. To confirm the results I saw a local allergist who performed 50 panel skin prick test. This test came up negative along with subsequent blood-work and a biopsy taken from another EGD. I am currently looking into the viability of IgG food allergy testing and have been on a gluten-free diet for 2-weeks (with no results), with plans to remain on the diet for a least 8 weeks.

What is wrong with me?

doctor1 MD

I am 27 years old. I am a female.. Last nite i had extreme chest pain on my left side where my breast is, It was sever sharp and stabbing. It also pulsated through my back. It came on lightly last nght and then hit me severerly fast. I ended up getting on my knees rocking back and forth doing all I could from screaming in pain. The pain was definitly a 10. It last for about 25 minutes in the highest pain, all together maybe lasted 45-50 minutes. The pain was worse when i would take a deep breath. My left hand started to hurt and get numb when i had the worst of the pain. I also had a headache. I am still in pain in my chest and back but just aching pain. I feel very weak and tired since all of this and lightheaded as if things seem slow to me. I am curious what could of caused this

doctor1 MD

Hello. I am a 54 year old woman. I have had a number of medical issues over the years, including high blood pressure (controlled by meds), kidney stones (more than a dozen over the past 7 years), and panic attacks (controlled by meds). I underwent...

doctor1 MD

Thank you for your time. Unfortunately I have had bronchitis since 8 months old and have had the same ear, nose throat issues as far back thanks to my negligent, uncaring parents as well as the predisposition of genetics being my father had the...

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing pain in both arms and stomach discomfort . I have have had a chest exray, blood tests for heart attack and kegs all its negative results? My cardiologist has suggested a gastro disorder. Is this possible?