Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Experiencing burning and stinging sensation during foreplay. Looking for cure

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hi my girlfriend is experiencing a burning/stinging during foreplay after a few mins and It gets too uncomfortable to cRry on. so I have to stop. She is to embarrassed to go to the dr. And she has never had an orgasm. Could you help with what might be the cause please.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve this problem.

I can assume that she feels burning sensation during sexual intercourse and it does not occur during foreplay (without penetration). It is called dyspareunia in medical term and has several underlying etiology like:

Vaginal dryness and fear of sex are the most common causes for above said condition.

Others are 1) Rough sex with using chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly with condom.
2) Using soap/ detergent/ other bath products/ douching can cause repeated friction & irritation inside vagina.
3) Inserting foreign objects during foreplay or excitation may cause the same.
4) Concurrent practice of vaginal and anal intercourse in alternate way during same session.
5) Non-maintenance of genital hygiene properly or irritation caused by long time using of tampons/ panty-liner.
6) Other associated pathology- vaginal atrophy, endometriosis, Co-existence of asymptomatic vaginal/ urinary infection etc.

Here, you should consult with her gynecologist for clinical & pelvic examination along with relevant investigation to rule out underlying pathology if any.

The following measures can be helpful to alleviate above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects or douching inside vagina.
3) Apply sexual technique like switch your sexual position, communicate longer time during foreplay, use water based lubricant or vagisil cream before intimation to alleviate vaginal dryness.
4) Proper medication is needed to treat other associated pathology after consultation with your doctor.
5) Doing kegel exercise, sex therapy, proper counseling and hormonal therapy (mainly estrogen cream) are also beneficial to treat the same.
6) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
7) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms. Maintain genital hygiene with proper shaving & cleaning with plain water only.
8) Try to avoid stress and take sound sleep with complete body relaxation.

In addition, unable to achieve or maintain orgasm being more excited is called anorgasmia in medical term. It is one type of sexual dysfunction & more common in female. About 15% of women face difficulties with orgasm in the United States.

Anorgasmia is mostly due to psychological factor with co-existence of vaginal dryness, pelvic infection, hormonal imbalance or neurological causes associated with reduce sensitivity to clitoris. Gynecologist can help her to rule out underlying etiology through relevant investigations and give proper guidance.

Here, 1) Keep more time on foreplay with your partner and give time to arouse her more & more before actual vaginal penetration or ejaculation.
2) Specific treatment- by means of hormonal patches (estradiol) or medication to correct other hormonal imbalances, using clitoral vacuum pump devices or vibrator and drugs to improve blood flow/ sexual sensation/ arousal. In recent study, drugs like sildenafil/ vardenafil (though used in men) are quite useful in the reversal of female sexual dysfunction. Also she needs to treat other underlying causes if any.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care herself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing burning and stinging sensation during foreplay. Looking for cure 10 minutes later
Hi thank you for your answer. The burning/stinging happens during foreplay and occurs while rubbing her clitoris. It happens as she gets more excited but never orgasms it starts to sting and I have to stop rubbing. She is always quite wet during foreplay so its not a case of it being to dry and rubbing and she says I'm not doing it to rough or hard. It just starts to sting after a while and is to uncomfortable to continue.
It also happens after having penetrated sex for a while with or without a condom again she is always quite wet so not dry. We never use objects or lubricant and are always very clean and goo hygiene. Any further help would be much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 6 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

First of all, you should follow above mentioned guideline while you are involved in sexual activity either foreplay or vaginal penetration.

Second thing, you have to use water based lubricant or vagisil cream before intimacy to lighten up burning sensation due to repeated friction.

Third thing, you should arouse her to extreme level by other methods instead of continuous rubbing on clitoris. Give more time on foreplay and sexual fantasy. Clitoral stimulation is advised in circular fashion and you repeat it with some interval or gap.

Fourth thing, when she feels much wet and top level of excitation, only then you should do vaginal penetration to achieve her orgasm. Practice sex in slow and steady manner with change in position.

Fifth thing, one urine test for routine examination and vaginal swab test can help to rule out asymptomatic bacterial infection which can more precipitate above condition. Consult with her gynecologist for relevant examination.

Hope, above steps are helpful from my insight. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor