Experiencing breast pain after a hard hit. What is the cure?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My grandson ran towards me to hug me & hit my breast very hard 2 days later still in horrible pain
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. Any trauma to the breast can cause minor injury to the breast tissue and fat. Depending on the impact of hit, it can stay for days, weeks or months. It would be important to observe for any skin discoloration and and slight bleeding within the breast. That might cause inflammation to the breast tissue. I guess if it is due to being hit by your grandson, then the impact might be less but do agree that the pain can get uncomfortable. Putting a cold compress may help in decreasing the inflammation and any swelling if present. This can be done by having some ice in a plastic bag and wrapping it with a towel and placing it on the area of tenderness for about 20 minutes, but this should have been done as early as possible. You can take over the counter non steroidal anti inflammatory oral medications. Please ask your doctor before taking them if you are on any anti coagulating medications. Severe pain does require narcotic pain killers to be taken. These are made available only on doctor's prescription. I suggest you to take medical attention urgently if there is discoloration of skin over breast with associated lump formation which may indicate pooling of blood in the breast tissue. Wishing you a quick recovery. Do write back if you have doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek